Due to a lack of iron, folic acid, vitamins, and proteins in the diet, the number of red blood cells in the body decreases and this medical condition is called anemia.
New Delhi: Due to a lack of iron, folic acid, vitamins, and proteins in the diet, the number of red blood cells in the body decreases and this medical condition is called anemia. So if there is a problem with anemia, whether it is a woman or a man, you should be aware of these things and what kind of diet and lifestyle to adopt during this time. What is important to adopt and what to avoid? That is what we are going to learn about today.
What to do
- In addition to green leafy vegetables in your diet, include apples, pomegranates, beetroot, dates, peanuts, jaggery, and dry fruits prominently.
- To increase the amount of folic acid in the body, include buckwheat flour, oatmeal, cabbage, mushrooms, broccoli, honey, and asparagus in your diet.
- Cook vegetables in an iron skillet.
- To increase the level of hemoglobin, protein, calcium, and vitamin C should also be included prominently in the diet. For this, include all kinds of pulses, sprouted grains, citrus, seasonal fruits like orange, amla and grapes prominently. This increases the ability of the body to absorb iron.
- If you are a non-vegetarian, then the consumption of red meat and eggs will prove beneficial.
- If symptoms like unnecessary fatigue or weakness are seen, then definitely get a CBC (complete blood count) test done. If the haemoglobin level in the report is less than 12 grams, then take iron and folic acid tablets on the advice of the doctor and keep taking these supplements on the doctor's advice till the iron level in the blood becomes normal.
What not to do?
- Anemia is mainly a problem caused by bad eating habits and a lack of nutrition. Therefore, you should remove these habits from your lifestyle.
- Stay away from crash dieting.
- Avoid fasting as much as possible.
- Do not consume junk food and canned juices as they lack nutrients and their preservatives prove to be harmful for health.
- Do not wash green vegetables after cutting. Do not cook them for too long. This destroys the nutrients present in them.
- Do not peel off the skin while cutting fruits like apples, pears, cucumbers, and guavas because the peel of these fruits contains a sufficient amount of iron and vitamins.
- Don't be careless about your health. If you feel tired often, then do not ignore it as a minor problem. It can also be a symptom of anemia, so consult a doctor without delay.
- After the age of 40, do not ignore heavy bleeding during periods as a symptom of menopause because it can also lead to a loss of blood in the body.